Search This Blog

Tuesday, February 2, 2010

behind the scenes-7

Uma Kapoor, who taught him Hindi in Class 5 at Nagpur's St Francis De Sales school, used to live in Raju's neighbourhood.
She helped Sheela Hirani get her children admission in the school. "He's always been interested in acting. We did a play called Chatta Chor in which he was the hero and he did it really well," Kapoor remembers.
"I never thought he would make such good movies. Even today, whenever he comes to Nagpur, he visits me and touches my feet."
Kishore Kulkarni, who often directed Raju in his college plays, remembers him warmly. "I could never say no to him; he would talk so nicely. Since I was working in the Railways, I could only make time in the evening. But Raju coaxed me to come in the mornings. He would tell everyone in the play that we had to do it properly because I was coming in the morning only for them."
Kulkarni met Raju last year at the Pune film festival. "Raju has not changed a bit," he says. "He is so down-to-earth. The hall was crowded but he came and spoke to me." "I was impressed after watching Munnabhai MBBS," says Kulkarni. "His devotion towards his work can be seen in his creations. I always thought he would become an actor so I was shocked when I learnt he became a director."

No comments:

Post a Comment